Well, just like most things cosmetics do have a shelf life and what a better time to cull all your old makeup then the New Year! Continuing to use old makeup is a breeding ground for bacteria and germs (eek!!), not to mention the loss of quality and change of colour.
As a guide, the below will give you an indication of when its time to cut the umbilical cord and toss:
- Foundations/Concealers: Depending on the amount of air they're exposed to and whether you're shoving your fingers in the bottle, its safe to say these they can last up to 1 year. If there is a bad odour or colour change bin it.
- Mascara: Remember I mentioned breeding ground for bacteria, well this is king of it. In very rare cases the infection can cause temporary blindness so please don't risk it. After 3 - 6 months throw it out!
- Eye liner/ Lip liner: These are great for longevity and hopefully you'd have used them before its time to chuck. These colourful pencils can last you up to 3 years. Ensure you sharpen them before each use.
- Face Powders/Eyeshadow: As this product doesn't contain any water, save your powder puff (but wash it!) cause you can hold onto powders for up to 3 years.
- Lipstick/Gloss: If looked after and you don't double dip from your lips to your lip brush, lipsticks can last a while. I would recommend 2 years but if smells……you know what to do.
- Creams/Gel Cleansers: 1 year but really whose cleanser lasts over that?
- Makeup Brushes: If its a quality brush you can get up to 15 years. Just remember to frequently wash them with warm water and mild detergent.
Obviously depending on how frequently you use the products the time may be more or less so just keep a nose and an eye out for signs.