Thursday 9 February 2012

How to properly clean your Makeup Brushes!

SORRY! That's all I can say.

I'm terribly sorry its taken so long to post but I do have a great excuse and its called an Hawaiian holiday.

Very soon Ill be showing you ALL of my purchases (*gasp) there is a lot, with reviews and recommendations on them all.

But in the interim, and following my post on brushes, I wanted to share with you the way I clean my much loved brushes. With the right tender love & care brushes can last you a very long time and considering you're spending so much on them its only right you really look after them - right? Cleaning them regularly also rids them of all the yucky unwanted bacteria that lurks and breeds in your brushes particularly if you're a makeup artist!

There are several ways to clean them with my favourite simply being some baby shampoo and warm water. The reason for this is that its gentle and it thoroughly cleans them leaving them without any residue.

  • All you need to do is place a small amount of the shampoo into the palm of your hand, wet the bristle part of the brush and gently massage the bristles in with the shampoo. 
  • Once you've worked up a lather rinse the brush doing your best to avoid the ferrule (the metal part of the brush) to avoid the adhesive deteriorating. 
  • Grab yourself a clean towel and squeeze the brush head/move it gently around the towel to remove excess waters.
  • Lay them flat on a table edge NOT STANDING to dry. The reason you need to have them not  standing is to once again avoid any excess moisture moving down the brush particularly the ferrule section causing them to eventually come apart.

For quick and easy cleans in between you can purchase pure alcohol or brush cleanses (MAC stocks one), spritz a little onto a tissue and clean the head of your brush. I often find many brush cleansers leave a soapy/oily residue so I personally would choose the alcohol which instantly cleans and kills any bacteria.
MAC Brush Cleanser

BEN nye alcohol based cleaner