Thursday 9 June 2011

Eyeliner

Over a delicious meal at Saloni in Richmond (I'm still dreaming of that lamb), I sat with my beautiful friend Olga and discussed eyeliner - because that's what we all do, right!?!


Eyeliner can be so much fun and there are many different products we can use with different ways to apply them! Gel liner, pencil, eyeshadow, liquid eyeliner are a few and remember they come in many colours so the possibilities are endless.


Confused? Hope this helps…..


Gel Liner - Gel liners are typically smudge proof/waterproof, so no panda eyes here! First time users may find it a little daunting to apply but with a bit of practice you'll perfect amazing flicks, lines and definition. Gel liners are my favourite by far, with the best being MAC Fluid Line or the Bobbi Brown Long Wear. And if that's not convincing enough, they can double up as an eye shadow. The only downfall is if you don't keep the jars airtight they often dry out.


Liquid Eyeliner - This form of eyeliner is similar to the gel but with the most obvious difference being its ink consistency and the applicator. As it is a liquid I find if you apply it and don't let it dry fully you may end up with rings around your eye. Don't let that discourage you, once again its just practice. I've had a Dior one which I've sworn by but Olga did mention she loved the Stila, so there are plenty of options.


Pencil - An all time favourite for most and a great bridal alternative. It has the ability to be softened and is very  easy to apply. I guess the main thing to look out for is the softness and colour depth of the pencil. I like to go over it with an angled brush to give it a smoother look. I have a million pencils but the ones that stand out for me are the Christian Dior for its creamy consistency and staying power and  the Estee Lauder Double Wear.


Eyeshadow - Who would have thought!! Yes, eyeshadow on top of any of the above, when properly applied gives amazing depth, colour and staying powder. Applied alone, with an angled brush it gives a soft finish that can be reapplied and blended. Truly try this technique as it gives a lovely finish. 



                                 Photographer: The talented Shamim de Varax


Here's some fun I had with eyeliner on a shoot . See, it can be fun and remember to experiment with colour!!!